Monday, March 19, 2012

A dream achieved

Are you a sports enthusiast?  Did you ever wish that you could watch your favorite team play a game and then actually speak to each of the players after the game to ask them why they did what they did when they did it?
If you answered yes to the questions above, I want you to know what it’s like.  On Saturday night, I went to the Maverick game, a game they pretty much had control throughout the entire game and posted their 3rd victory in a row.  I was privileged as a co-host to Robin Valetutto on KVCE radio 1160 on the AM dial to attend the game with my press pass.  The press pass, like Wayne in Wayne’s World, allowed me into places that many wish they could occupy.  I navigated through areas of the stadium that were titled, “Media Dining” and so on.  As I rounded the corner, I could see the post-game show with Bob Ortegel being filmed, and ESPN radio to their left.  Robin and I walked down the hall further as I could see fans looking from the outside in, shooting phone camera video of this inner closed off area which led to the press room.  Like a child in a candy store, I turned to Robin and said, “I’d like to go and take some pictures of the TV show being filmed”, she politely responded, “let’s get settled in to the press room and then you can go back and get your pictures.”  I grabbed my seat and settled our stuff in, and I left the room to go back down the hall to see the live post-game show being shot and there was the head coach Rick Carlisle walking towards me.  The best I could collect myself was to look at him and say, “Nice game coach.”  He replied, “Thanks.”  I figured I’d better get back to the press room so that I wouldn’t miss that time where he was going to address the media and rushed back to the room.
I entered in the room and quickly scurried to my seat.  I could see the door open from which location the coach would enter.  I could see him speaking with Khloe Kardashian, Lamar Odem’s wife.  It seemed a bit surreal that I was seeing people in life that I had formerly only seen on TV.  The next 5 minutes, various journalists asked questions about the game.  I was thinking, should I?  Should I ask a question?  Then, the only question I could think of was asked by another.    I shot the experience on my iPhone4 video camera.
While I was soaking this in and walking on air, I’m thinking Robin’s leading me out of the AA center to start walking to the car for departure and we turn a corner and she opens a door.  I mean, this door being opened was both literal and metaphorical.  It was a door that I could personally have never opened on my own, it was a gift.  Time slowed down for a second as I looked straight ahead and I could see Lamar Odem being interviewed about 15 feet straight ahead of me.  It took me a few seconds to gather my senses and realize that I was actually in the Mavericks locker room. 
I can still envision the layout, not to sound weird, but, even the smell.  It smelled like a locker room.  As I entered the doorway, to my immediate right was Brandon Wright.  The rookie center, who had an outstanding game that night.  This guy can jump out of his shoes.  I noticed that he was much leaner than I expected to see.  I could also see what appeared to be a red abrasion on his left shoulder.  I then remembered how he took a fall in the game, so I asked him if he hurt his leg in the fall.  He assured me that he didn’t and I followed up talking about his shoulder.  He brushed it off like it was nothing but then shared with me that he had surgery on his left shoulder.  I’ve personally dislocated my left shoulder some 40 times over the last 35 years, so, I asked if it felt good.. tight.  He said, “Yep!”. 
My eyes panned over to the left side of the doorway.  There was another young player,  I believe his second year, Ian Mahinmi.  He was surrounded by reports, so, I wasn’t ready to engage.  Then, I continued to look on the left side of the locker room and the player right next to Ian was Rodrigue Beaubois.  “Rody” has been playing much better this year and in recent games, has been very good.  The press was interested in him as well.  On this night, he knocked down two shots in the 4th quarter. 
It was about that time that I noticed that the player’s name was at the top of his designated section.  I also panned the entire room looking for the senior three, Dirk, Jason Kidd, and Jason Terry.  Shawn Marion was not dressed that night to play, so I was wondering about the three… where’s their locker, where are they?  None were present in the room at that moment.
Vince Carter then emerged from the shower area and walked back to his section.  His locker is to the right of Jason Kidd’s.  It was here that I learned my first lesson.  Some players evidently like to get dressed BEFORE they speak to you.  I turned to Vince and said, “Great opening shot in the second half”, he looked at me over his right shoulder and said, “Do you mind if I get dressed first”?   Oh man, I thought, I just made an IDIOT of myself.  I thought, here was my opportunity to speak to the players, and I started out on the wrong foot.  Of course, I apologized and slowly pulled back from his space and continued to survey other players in the room. 
On the far top right side was Dominique Jones.  A much larger man than I assumed him to be.  No one was speaking to him.  He didn’t play that night, at least from what I could remember, so, I thought, can’t think of what to ask him… AND he was getting dressed.  Wasn’t going to make that mistake again!
I migrated back toward Rodey.. or is it Rodney Beabois?  Never found out.  I remembered how he had two consecutive baskets in the 4th quarter and asked him about them.  He spoke softly and with a thick French accent.  He maintained eye contact and all of a sudden turns to his left and begins to chuckle.  I turn my head to the same direction to see Jason Kidd poking fun at him because of his comments.  There I was, sharing humor with Jason Kidd.  I’m a quick learner and said to Jason, “I bet you’d like to get dressed before speaking”, and he agreed.  I thought, I’m now becoming an experienced reporter!
After Jason got dressed, I spent about a minute with him.  He is a great speaker, articulate, engaging and to the point with the questions.  I’ll post his interview at a future date, and we’ll be speaking about it on Tuesday night’s show.  I felt about as much of a connection with a person as possible when speaking with Jason, really enjoyed that one.
Then, over my shoulder, the big German walks in the room from his shower.  The rest of the reporters surround him for their time.  I migrated over to listen a bit and figured I’d catch up with him after it thinned out a bit.  A few minutes passed and my strategy worked… I was there one on one with Dirk, a guy that I’ve been watching since he came into the league.  I spoke with him on the radio when Norm Hitzgus first interviewed him when he was signed to the Mavs in his very first year.  The guy I watched mature and grow and lead this team to a championship.  Earlier in the evening, I watched him literally carry the Mavs the entire second quarter.  Their plan was to offer one pass to the low post to Dirk, and he swapped baskets with the entire San Antonio team the entire second quarter.  So, I asked him about that, to which the first few words he said gave me my second learning experience.  He said, “Like I said a second ago…..”  Those words were said politely, yet firmly and yet at a tone where I knew I did something wrong AGAIN.  This time, he was dressed; however, as I would come to learn, I probably should have just shot out my question when ALL the journalists were granted their time.  I had assumed that Dirk being alone was MY opportunity not realizing that the appropriate time to speak with him had passed. 
Nevertheless, in retrospect, I have always coached kids to live and not be afraid.  I could have been overwhelmed by the experience, but I chose to embrace it and go after it.  I did.  I spoke with my favorite NBA players and asked decent questions looking them in the eyes.  No fear, capturing my opportunity granted to me by KVCE 1160 on the AM dial and by the forever gracious Robin Valettuto.



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun Read! This sounds like a dream of a night for any sports enthusiast. It seems to me there are few basketball minds that rival Kidd's. I look forward to reading about the rest of that minute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Marino. Great experience for sure. I stayed interested word for word which is rare for me. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete