Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Gee, I thought I was getting better...

So, the Mavs beat Houston again, a real positive experience.  The game started pretty rough, they started by trying to go through Dirk, his shot was flat and Scola seemed to be just agressive enough.  Seemed like Coach Mchale's attack was to maybe try to wear Dirk out by making him play both ends of the court.  Scola was on fire and appeared to be unstoppable the first half.  Eventually, they tried to go through Vince Carter who also was struggling.  Jason Kidd didn't take a shot until 50 seconds left in the 2nd quarter.  This perplexed me a bit.  Jason is probably somewhere between a 37% to 45% three point shooter, they were sttruggling, so why was he passing shots?

I asked Rick Carlisle that question.  He was not pleased.  He said, "is that an observation or do you have a question".  I replied, "Should he have shot the ball more?"  He didn't like that follow up question either.  I did feel embarased, some laughed due to the nervous energy in the room, but, after all is said and done, I'd rather have an experience than no experience.  I'll get better. (I thought I was getting better), but, I think the key I've learned is, I'll do what I do as I observe a game.  I'm developing and improving my system.  Afterwards, I need to take what I've gleened and lead a question into the observation rather than stating the observation.  We'll see how that goes next time.

I spoke with Lamar Odom and Jason Kidd and it was pleasant, and we'll talk about it on air, but, all in all, still a FANtastic expereince.  I'm a FAN first, and a journalist second.

No comments:

Post a Comment