Monday, May 7, 2012

There are many in the metroplex questioning Mark Cuban now.  It reminds me of when I coached sports.  The difference between the head coach and all others is that you must live with your decisions as the head coach.  Whatever you decide, it's on you.  Pull the pitcher out too soon, leave him in too long, selecting your starting rotation, your reserves, minutes to be played, on-side kick, field go vs. going for it on 4th down.  (please be aware, I'm mixing concepts from various sports besides basketball and my analogy of the head coach will be applied to Mr. Cuban and I'm aware he's not the head coach).   Personally, I rarely question a head coach.  I think that may be based on having served 6 years of active duty in the Marine Corps and understanding the concept of team.  That there are leaders and these leaders will make requests that you may or may not agree with, but nevertheless, the orders must be executed to the best of your ability.  I mean, really, isn't that what YOU would want if YOU were leading?  How could you have knowledge of success or failure if those that are following don't buy in?

It would appear that the eggs were being laid to attempt to go after Dwight Howard and now, he has an injury.  Who could have known, after all, he is known as Superman.. isn't he?  It looks like the cryptonite of the ever present lower back problem has struck Mr. Howard.

"Be thankful in all things"  Maybe we should be thankful that our city experienced its first basketball championship EVER.  I lived in LA when they had the likes of Jabar, Johnson, Worthy, and more. Showtime they called it, and the poor Dallas Mavericks were so competative, but not enough.  Then, Miami appears on the map of basketball dynasty potential.  How many championships?  That was the question, it wasn't whether they would win, it was how many.  The only thing to stop them from this rule and reighn was a team from Dallas.  No one gave them a chance.  The last time Dallas was in the championship, it was against this very same team, but a team that did not include the NBA's brand boy, "King James".  Surely, the same Dwayne Wade PLUS Chris Bosh PLUS King James would put this joke and inferior team away... wouldn't they?

Personally, I will NEVER forget that championship.  There are many others I've forgotten, but, not this one.  This one was special.  To the Dallas mavs that made it happen, throughout the entire organization, I thank you.  I thank you for not only winning, but winning with class. 

Whatever happens from this point forward is gravy.  Now, I am human, and at some point, I'll get hungry again; but for now, I still have some meat between my teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment