Thursday, April 11, 2013

Wear what I wear please

So, as I promised, here's the story and my bizarre thoughts... And I readily admit, this is not normal.

I went to get my mail from the mail box, which really is just to open the door and reach over to the left since the mail box is within an arm's reach of opening the door.  My wife freaks out and screams, "some one's going to see you in your underwear."  I'm thinking, what's the big deal?  Well, I should add to the facts that we live on a very busy street and there's a high probability that a car will drive by even though it's a quick opening of the door.  So, to deny that I will be seen is not tenable.  My argument is, why is it that when EVERYONE takes their shirt off, it's OK for me to take my shirt off and NOT until then?

Continue...

You go to the beach and you wear a bikini.  How does that differ from underwear?  BTW, I'm not trying to be cute here and I understand that there's sheer type of underwear that would reveal something that wouldn't be revealed in a bikini, but, apples to apples...  a little top to insure the hidden part of the breast remains hidden and well, you finish the rest for the bottom, the point is, BOTH reveal the same portions of flesh. 

The AGREEMENT we seem to have in society is, do NOT do that unless we're all doing it!  If you put that outfit on and walk into the night club, it will probably be frowned upon.  Heck, there's even nude beaches where all agree it's OK to take everything off.  Back to me and checking the mail... So, there I am in my boxers or briefs?  Depends (inside joke), anyway, and I'm genuinely thinking, if my underwear were called a "bathing suit", I could have come from my supposed pool and was simply checking my mail... oh no, bad bad bad, because the people that are outside are in a zone where they're wearing clothes, and so, it is taboo that I would be shirtless and so on.  You know, I could really push this subject and talk about supposed differences between underwear and other clothing, but, I don't think that's really the point.  I'm honestly puzzled about why this rule exists? 

Answer.

Perhaps we seem to have an innate drive to want people to be like us.  If they're different, we look and wonder, "why is he eating his cereal with orange juice instead of milk?"  (ewww, I know wouldn't that taste terribly), but, really, this same thing that pulls people in the same direction becomes a discriminatory pulse as well.  Perhaps it's part of the basis of prejudices and other things that can be taken to the extreme.  I'll never forget the first time I was ostracized because I was dipping my cookie in milk.  For some reason, the person in grade school had never fathomed that practice and began to loudly point out my unusual behavior, or the time that I decided to urinate in the break room while lunch was going on.. oh, I know I should have put my shoes on, but, what the heck?  Seriously, I do want to be part of society, for "no man is an island" Aristotle...  I've also come to discover that although I do enjoy people with whom I share values, people with my personality are not my best match to hang out with, it almost seems like opposites are a better fit.  So, everyone break the rules today... go out and check your mail in whatever outfit you want and then ask them to read this blog.

1 comment:

  1. I commend you on your blog...I also have had a mailbox attached to the front of the house, within reach (almost) of the front door, then one 3 feet away, and now one at the curb. I learned early on that most people have an opinion about what one should/shouldn't wear to retrieve mail. If I received a comment about my choice as seen by someone driving or walking by, I encouraged them to wave to me. If I was able to wave back, I was dressed up enough for the retrieval process. Subject closed.

    ReplyDelete