Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The assumptions we trust...

A weekend getaway.  The weather is hot, the lake is refreshing.  You're with friends and family and life is just happening.  There's no warning.  You reflect afterwards and see things that may have made a difference.  You've had past experiences that made you swear that you would live day by day to the fullest and then yet another dose of reality hits to reaffirm yet another awareness point and yet another commitment.

While at the lake, I was asked to visit and eat with the family next to our cabin.  One of the people there no longer breathes the same air we do.  He drowned.  He actually drowned on Saturday, the day after I was asked to join him and his family for a meal to which I declined.  In retrospect, I wished I could have spent some time and then again, I really don't know what it would have been like, would I have maximized the time... I doubt it.  We live today... looking for Friday... despising the oncoming Monday.  Looking forward to the vacation and complaining about the heat during the vacation. 

Lord, grant us the ability to capture the moment.  To live life in abundance, to realize that we are dust.  Our time is very short... yes very short.

No comments:

Post a Comment