Sunday, August 7, 2011

We're approaching our 4th year as a band

Long time ago in a galaxy far far away, Sabrina and Gypsybleu was formed.  It was around this time 4 years ago that Larry Ross decided to put together a band.  Larry is extremely insightful and had a vision to get musicians that could not only play music, but were kind of like family.  Cassandra graciously opened her home and allowed us to practice night after night without complaint.  So, to both Larry and Cassandra, we want to say a heart felt love and appreciation for your roles in putting together this band and without you, we would not exist as a band.

Our first gig was at the Boot and Saddle.  I knew at that time we had something special.  Sabrina and I (Marino) appeared to perfectly compliment each other. I personally had not committed in my heart to the band UNTIL that first performance, one time on stage with these folks, I was hooked!

Sabrina has a sense of musical professionalism and was really cut to be a Broadway performer. I, as an insider to this band can say to you with NO hesitation, she epitomizes the phrases, "The show MUST go on!" I've never been challenged with all the difficulties that have hit her in the last 4 years, but, come 9:00, she's there, ready for the downbeat.  I'm a bit frustrated with the Lord because I can tell you that you can always be a better singer than you are with proper technique, but you got to have the vocal chords to begin with.  If a normal voice has, let's say 200 chords, she's got like10,000.  I got 100.  Not only does she have an extremely strong voice, but she has an ear too.  I mean, it's one thing to be able to bring a strong voice, but it has to be in tune!  And furthermore, not only does she have a strong voice and sings in tune, but she can move from all different genres of music.  She can go from Aretha type to Janis Joplin to Katty Perry, (need I say more?).  Ok, I will.  She can entertain folks.  She has a charisma that draws and holds an audience.  And finally, her personality is such that you'd never know she had all this talent.  She'll make you feel like you're her best friend.. And, she may be the one person that has over 200 best friends.  She just has that connection about her.  To play with her on the stage, there is no stepping on each other and we both have sense of entertainment that has an unspoken connection.  We sometimes call it VMM.  We've actually experienced finishing songs and going to call out the next song and mouth the exact song at the exact moment.  All I can say is it works and even though much of what we do repeats itself, it still feels fresh after all this time.

Robert and Greg are great people and they may be the hardest working people in our band.  Although I am the only United States Marine in the band, Robert and Greg are Marines at heart because they are the first to arrive and the last to leave.  They are two pillars and without them, we could not do what we do.  As people, Larry's original vision could not have been better executed.  Remember, he wanted to have a family like environment where the band members would love each other and have more than just a musical unit. Robert and Greg are two of the most sincere, kind, and likable people I've ever known.

Our bass players, yes, plural as in playerSSSS.  As in life, divorce exists and families change so it is with a band.  In the list of bass players, we've had the fortune of playing with Larry Ross, who has gone on to successfully put together several other bands and currently continues with his vision with Stratakatz.  Stan Allison who was extremely versatile as a bass player and provided us with an awesome job at bass for 2 years, Buthel, those of you who know Buthel, I don't need to say anything for his personality, professionalism, and MONSTER chops all speak for themselves, to the rest, if you haven't, I'm so sorry that you missed him playing with us.  John Paul who helped to bridge some gaps, Dave Lewis who is faithful, and reliable and provides us with professional support in the absence of our current bass player Tony Merante.  Tony, like everyone else in the band makes it easy to hang out.  He's one of the funniest people you'll know.  He's a family man convicted to provide the most stable home environment for his lovely wife and son.  BTW, did I say he can play bass?  OMG, this cat his one of the most talented bass players I've ever been associated, and he has the humility of a rookie.

We would be remiss in not mentioning the fact that we've only had ONE keyboard player associated with us throughout our playing experience.  His name is Fernando De Los Santos.  (hope I spelled it correctly).  He's from Spain, and when he gets those wireless keys going, he rocks the club and has the girls screaming in a frenzy.  He rips through the keys like a virtioso.  With all that talent, he's got his equipment up on the stage hours before I (Marino) show up.  He has the warmest smile, and he has a tremendous sense of humor too.  You'll never find an easier soul with which to talk, play, laugh, or just plain drive 4 hours with to Abilene.

I would not be complete if I failed to mention Diana, my wife.  She has been a support system that cannot go unrecognized.  ALL of the photos you see, the website, putting my clothes together, sitting front row, providing feedback, encouraging during the hard times, and my best friend.  As of this article, we're approaching 33 years together on August 16th, 2011. 

All of this to say, we approach our 4th year.  I can promise you that if it is at all possible, we'll continue Lord willing, and we have plans for some up and coming directional changes that will leverage our most awesome fan base.  Let me repeat this.  Without the fans, we are trees falling in the forest not making a sound.  I've heard of musicians that gasp at playing Sweet Home Alabama ONE MORE TIME, but, if it means something to the fan, then it means something to me, to us.  We so greatly appreciate each and every one of you.  We do our best to greet, speak with, and even be-friend you.  I can tell you of so many stories of newly acquired friendships and acquaintances do to this experience.  One person that lifts me up so much is Brett.  If you haven't met Brett, you're missing a piece of life that needs to be experienced.  I haven't cleared with him to say much more, but, I hope he reads this and allows me to share some of his story.  I assure you, you will never be the same after meeting him.

Thank you all.

1 comment:

  1. Marino, this is a nice write up about the band and I didn't know the full story until I read this. It's very nice.

    ReplyDelete