Tuesday, August 13, 2013

My uncle Angelo

My uncle Angelo passed.  Angelo was my dad's brother, one who was about 9 years older than me and 13 years younger than my dad.  He was a fraternal twin to my uncle Leon.  In the summer of 1971, my father, brother, Angelo, Leon, grandfather, and great uncle George all took a trip to Greece.  It may have been the most memorable time of my childhood.  We went to the beach every day which created voracious appetites by which my wonderful aunt Aremenie fed us like an army returning from a campaign. 

Angelo and Leon slept in a bed next to me and my brother.  The relationship that Leon and Angelo had was hilarious to my young mind.  One day, while we were settling in to sleep, one of the two moved in such a way that his toenail scratched the other.  The argument that ensued will match any comedy routine that I've ever seen.

There was a genuine kindness to Angelo.  He had an awesome sense of humor and a zeal for life.  He was extremely passionate about many things.  All you had to do is stop by and visit him.  If you did, he showed you his garden.  A garden that even to someone like me who is not into that pulled a respect and appreciation for the time he put into it.  I asked him specifically what did he like and when did he know it and he told me about the beginnings when he was first on his own and grew some house plants.  He loved the architecture of the pot and laying them out.  I helped one day by watering them.  He gave me very specific instructions on the watering and the time to fill each container.  I am glad I had that opportunity that day to do something for him.  After he would show you his garden, if you knew how to play backgammon, he'd more than likely play you and he loved to talk smack as he played.  My dad and him would play for hours.  Before he was sick, he would probably do three more things!  One, he'd make you really think about who your voting for and why and his great passion for this country.  Secondly, he'd love to show you his office.  His labor of love to help people protect their assets and thrive towards retirement.  "Soaring", a phrase attributed to the eagle, and to those who have been in his office, they'd see plenty of eagles.  Finally, he'd FEED you.  Angelo LOVED to eat and he knew the best food anywhere.  He really enjoyed the fellowship of eating and visiting.  If you were to just hang with him, in no time, he'd offer to take you to go and eat at some place that was going to be terrific.  Dare I forget his grandkids????   Oh my God did he love his grandkids.  Of course, that started when he was a father and would brag on his kids, and he took that same excitement on to the next generation. 

On the few days I had to visit, he asked me if I wanted to go for a ride.  I replied, "sure".  I could see that food was no longer one of the passion points due to his battling of cancer.  While he showed me homes of his beloved children, and brother, he drove and there was that one last time that Angelo relaxed and kept talking to me about the Miner Dunn Double Cheese Sandwich (forgive me if I got that wrong).  He talked about the chili there and sherbet ice cream.  I kept listening as we crossed the road that led to Miner Dunn, he pointed it out to me that it was just down the street there and asked if I was hungry.  I replied, LET'S GO!!  We went in and had the sandwich, chili, and sherbet.  We had fellowship.  It would be my last meal with my uncle, but, it was the best meal I've had with him.

I was with him when he went to the emergency room.  And I was struck with the fact that he would periodically moan in pain.  I asked him if he was in pain, to which he gave the same answer as always, "No, I'm just having some discomfort."  Finally, I asked him, on a 1 - 10, where would you rank the discomfort.  He replied, "10".  I told him, Ang, that's pain.  We then got him the appropriate medication to help with that and that was a better day.  I have more memories that follow, but, I'll ponder those for yet a while.

I am amazed how much I really got to know him in a few days.  Perhaps it's the knowing that there's no time to waste.  No pretension, no jiving, just say the things that need to be said, do the things that need to be done.  I will miss this wonderful father, husband, uncle, man.  I never knew just how kind and sensitive he was, for that I'm sorry, not defeated because I hope to learn from that as I move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment